Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A surprise inside

These pumpkin cupcakes are divine. I stuffed myself with them. They have a sweetened cream cheese filling and a crispy streusel topping. I can't imagine anyone not liking these. Plus, 'tis the season for all things pumpkin. As is the case with much of the food I make, I got this recipe from My Kitchen Cafe.

THE RECIPE:

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 c. powdered sugar

Cupcakes:
3 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. cloves
3/4 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. oil (I used canola)
2 c. sugar
2 c. pumpkin puree

Streusel:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut up
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

To prepare filling, whip cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth. Form into a log on plastic wrap or greased foil, ensuring that diameter is small enough to fit into well of muffin tin. Wrap tightly and freeze about 2 hours, or until slightly hardened.

To make cupcakes, mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then mix together until just combined.

To make streusel, mix ingredients with pastry blender or fork until you have crumbs.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Fill each well a third of the way with batter. Remove cream cheese log from freezer and cut into 24 slices. Place each slice on top of batter in wells and press down gently. Divide remaining batter over tops of cream cheese slices. Sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into top part of cupcake comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely before serving.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I get a lot of recipes off my kitchen cafe, too. I can't wait to see what you whipped up for your neighborhood treats!