Friday, December 18, 2009

A marvelous mistake

I started out making fudge -- white chocolate cherry cheesecake fudge. I had seen the recipe in the Deseret News and had to try it. It was the easiest thing ever to throw together. The problem is, my fudge didn't set. Instead, it was more like thick frosting, but it tasted delicious to say the least. All I can figure is that I didn't drain the cherries well enough. Anyway, I got creative and decided to use my "fudge" as a filling for mini tarts. I thought about giving some to the neighbors, but then I ate them all. Give it a shot. If you end up with fudge, great! If not, you know what to do. Or just eat it with a spoon. It's that good.

THE RECIPE:

1 pound white chocolate in chunks, or real white chocolate chips
8 ounces cream cheese
1 c. drained maraschino cherries, quartered

Carefully melt chocolate in double boiler or in microwave on half power, stirring frequently. Place cream cheese in bowl and microwave about 1 minute to soften. Beat cream cheese, then add white chocolate and blend well. Fold in cherries. Spread in 8x8 pan that's been buttered or lined with foil or plastic wrap. Chill several hours or overnight, until firm. Store, covered, in refrigerator.

Tart shells:

1/2 c. butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 c. flour
1 Tbsp. sugar

Beat butter and cream cheese until combined. Add sugar, then flour. Press pastry evenly into bottom and up sides of ungreased mini-muffin tins. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes (I think -- maybe start watching a few minutes early and get them out when they are golden). If you don't have mini-muffin tins, maybe just try regular ones. I bet it would be great. You'd just put a lot more filling in them, but it would be delicious that way!

Fill tart shells with "fudge" and refrigerate until ready to use.

2 comments:

Alvey family said...

Mmmm. Looks good to me! I love fudge and I love cheesecake so I should have just come on over to help you clean the pan up!! I made a new fuge recipe this year that turned out really good. I'll have to post it if I have a piece left to take a picture of. Merry Christmas. Your card is coming... had a backorder problem from the place we ordered them from, argggh!

Valerie said...

I love mini desserts and these are sooo pretty!