Thursday, July 30, 2009

Eat your oats

I'm excited to have another great breakfast dish. I loved topping my baked oatmeal with fresh blueberries. The nice thing about this dish is that it's incredibly versatile. Tweak it to your liking. The recipe came from my cousin's food blog, Table for 7.

THE RECIPE:

2 c. oats (either old-fashioned or quick)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 c. mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce (I used banana)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then mix together. Pour into 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. (I actually had to cook mine for 35 minutes.) Serve with milk and your choice of fruit.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Glad you liked it! I make that at least once a week. Sometimes when I know I'll be in a hurry in the morning I mix all the dry ingredients together and leave them on the counter. In the morning all I have to do is measure the milk, add egg, butter and applesauce and put it in the oven. It takes just a couple minutes.