Friday, August 27, 2010

Ah, root beer

I have loved root beer all my life. So when I heard there was such a thing as root beer cookies, I had to try them. What you see above is the second and best of two recipes I have tried. I got the recipe from Cafe Johnsonia. For some reason, the new root beer extract I bought doesn't turn things brown, like the last one did. Oh well. They still taste great, and like root beer, which is what matters.

THE RECIPE:

1 c. unsalted butter
2 c. dark brown sugar (light will work)
2 eggs
2 tsp. root beer extract
3 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water (use only if dough is too dry -- I didn't need it)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and extract. Whisk together dry ingredients, then add to wet a little at a time. Add water, if necessary. Chill dough for about an hour. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet with spreading room in between. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 10 minutes. Mine took 10, but I wonder if that's because I didn't add the water. My dough was thicker. They were done when they were cracked all over the top.

Frosting:

1 c. butter
3 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. root beer extract
A few tablespoons hot water (optional)

Beat butter, then add powdered sugar and extract. Add water, if necessary, until you reach good spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies.

No comments: