Friday, May 1, 2009

Flurry of curry

This recipe for coconut-curry chicken was something different for us and really good. We definitely want to make it again. I might add chopped peanuts next time. I love the combination of coconut milk and curry. And the addition of basil was a pleasant surprise. And in case you're worried, it's not spicy.

THE RECIPE:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut up
2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 c. chopped red onion (I'm sure this could be optional)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk*
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil OR 3 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger OR 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
Cooked rice

Mix curry, salt, pepper and chili powder in small bowl. Put chicken pieces in baggie and toss with spices. Close bag and refrigerate for as long as possible to allow spices to penetrate.

Cook onions and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from pan. Cook chicken through, then remove from pan as well. Combine coconut milk and cornstarch, then add to pan and cook until slightly thickened and bubbly. Return chicken, onions and garlic to pan. Stir in basil and ginger. Serve over hot rice.

*I know lowfat coconut milk exists, but I didn't see it at Walmart.

2 comments:

Bret said...

I made this tonight for dinner and it was a big hit with everyone!! I love curry and it reminded me of my favorite dish at a restaurant here made with shrimp and chicken, plum sauce, golen raisins, curry... so good! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will definitely be making it again!

Bret said...

P.S. Just realized I am signed in as Bret but I want you to know he had nothing to do with the cooking tonight. I might as well get credit when I can, right, because to answer your question on my blog - A mother gets absolutely no credit for helping their Scouts make cakes for the Blue and Gold cake competition. I did have an appreciative husband however :)