Friday, November 21, 2008

Sugar and spice

This recipe for chocolate gingerbread cookies is originally a Martha Stewart. I was clued in to it by my friend Holly at Phe/MOM/enon. The thing is, both she and Martha Stewart are really into baking, and I'm way too lazy for it. So, I dumbed down the recipe to suit my impatient needs. If you are interested in making it the right way, go to Holly's blog. The thing is, I thought it was just great without all the refrigeration and extra TLC. Maybe I'm a disgrace, though.

THE RECIPE:

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Granulated sugar

Beat together butter and brown sugar, then add molasses and fresh ginger. Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips. Form into balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, until surfaces begin to crack. Let stand for a few minutes.

The chocolate flavor is more apparent when the cookies are warm. The gingerbread flavor is more apparent when they are completely cooled.


1 comment:

Holly said...

I love that you just went for it! They look great! I think I only chill the dough when I know I'm going to have to take a bake break.