Thursday, February 6, 2014

Homemade refried beans


I made my own refried beans the other day. I'm not in love with refried beans, but I thought these homemade ones tasted better than the ones in the can. I used them in seven-layer dip -- a huge win -- and then we ate the dip for dinner. Some nights are just like that.

These refried beans are all-natural and fat-free. They are very easy to make. Most of the work is done in a slow cooker. The beans can be frozen for later use -- tacos, burritos, etc. Making them at home is a good way to use the dried beans you have in your food storage. The recipe came from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

THE RECIPE:

1 lb. dry pinto beans, rinsed and sorted for any stones
1 tsp. salt
1 yellow onion, cut into large chunks
4 large cloves garlic, smashed
2 cans diced green chilies
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Chili powder to taste
Cumin to taste

Place beans in large saucepan with plenty of room and cover with water by at least an inch. Bring to a boil and cover, cooking for 15 minutes. Drain beans, then place in slow cooker and cover with water by 2 inches. Add 1 teaspoon salt, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.

When beans are tender, ladle out a cup of cooking liquid and set aside before draining remaining liquid. Puree beans and veggies, along with vinegar and green chilies, with an immersion blender OR in a food processor. Add reserved liquid as needed until desired consistency is reached. I only needed about 1/4 cup. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and add chili powder and cumin to taste. The final product has a mild flavor. Makes 5 1/2 cups.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I bought all the stuff to make these this week. My family loves refried beans. Paul's tradition is to make bean and cheese quesadillas after church on Sunday. I'll feel much better feeding my family these. Can't wait to try them.