Saturday, December 8, 2012

Appearances are deceiving


I'm a huge fan of classic dishes with a twist. I love tradition, so I could never do away with the stereotypical holiday dishes. But, I love adding a little interest and intrigue. Keep your guests guessing the special ingredient in these yummy mashed potatoes and...parsnips! The recipe is a basic one to allow for gravy, but feel free to add whatever mix-ins suit your fancy.

THE RECIPE:

2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks*
10 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks**
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Put parsnips and potatoes in large pot of water and boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Parsnips take a little longer than potatoes. Drain well, then put in large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, then beat with electric mixer until smooth.

*Parsnips look like fat, whitish carrots. They taste a lot like carrots, too.
**When I say medium, I mean the size that comes in the bags.

No comments: