Friday, April 29, 2011

Scrumptious shells

My whole family loved these stuffed shells. I adapted a recipe from Carrie's Cooking Corner, using fresh spinach from our garden instead of frozen. I will definitely make this again. I am always glad to have another good meatless recipe on hand.

THE RECIPE:

20 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
16 oz. low-fat cottage cheese
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained*
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. EACH garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
16 oz. spaghetti sauce

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix cottage cheese, spinach, 1/2 cup mozzarella, Parmesan and seasoning. Spoon filling into shells. Pour half of spaghetti sauce into bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Line up filled shells in baking dish, then spoon remaining sauce down the middle of each line of shells. Bake 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake a couple of minutes more.

*I used 4 packed cups fresh spinach, which I washed and roughly chopped.

1 comment:

Alvey family said...

Glad you liked this recipe! My mouth is watering just looking at your peanut butter trifle. Can't wait to try that one!