Sunday, June 27, 2010

Enchiladas with texture

I have been making these creamy almond-chicken enchiladas for years now. The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens and calls for cream of chicken soup. I don't like to use cream soups very much in my cooking -- we are trying to be healthier -- but I keep them in my food storage. This recipe is a great reason to use canned foods. I absolutely love the addition of almonds. They give great texture.

THE RECIPE:

4 c. diced chicken breasts
3/4 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. chopped onion (sometimes I use green)
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies
6 oz. cream cheese
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
10 flour tortillas
2 15-ounce cans cream of chicken soup
12 oz. sour cream (I used light)
2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese

In large skillet, cook chicken. Add onions and 1/2 cup of the almonds, then saute. Add 2 tablespoons green chilies. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons milk and cumin. Add chicken mixture. Spoon into tortillas, then roll and place side by side in 9x13 baking dish. In medium bowl, combine soup, sour cream, 2 cups milk and remainder of chilies. Pour over tortillas. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining 1/4 cup almonds. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more. (Sometimes I put the cheese in the tortilla filling instead.)

No comments: