Monday, October 12, 2009

Award winner

I won third place at our church's chili cook-off with this cilantro-lime chili. Person after person told me how much they loved it, which made me feel so good! I also love that it is a vegetarian dish, but no one notices. It tastes best after it has been refrigerated and then reheated. I used bell peppers and tomatoes from my garden, which you may not have, so feel free to tweak the recipe to your liking.

THE RECIPE:

Splash of olive oil
1 large bell pepper, cleaned out and chopped
5 c. chopped fresh tomato*
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
2 packages taco seasoning
1 package dry Italian dressing
1 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 c. beef broth
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. lime juice
1/2 bunch cilantro (stems removed), finely chopped
Avocado, if desired
Chips, if desired

Over medium-high heat, cook peppers in olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, beans, corn, seasonings, vinegar, broth and brown sugar. Mix well, then bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Cook 10 minutes more. Cool and refrigerate for a few hours. Reheat and serve with sliced avocado and crushed tortilla chips.

*Note: I have made this twice. The first time, I added an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce. The second time I did not, because my tomatoes were very ripe and meaty and juicy. So, basically, do whatever you want.

4 comments:

trish said...

I wasn't able to attend the ward activity so I didn't get to taste this delectable-sounding chili. This is a recipe I will definitely try!!

Anne @ Sincerely, Britches said...

I made this chili last week and it was wonderful...until we added the lime & cilantro! I'll definitely made the chili again, but just leave out the last two ingredients.

Alvey family said...

I'll have to give this one a try. I love all the ingredients. I also like the beautiful way it's presented with the avacado. Who won first and second place at the cook-off?

P.S. Thought of you last week when I made your Chicken Corn Chowder. That is such a comfort food type of soup.

Child Family said...

Thanks for the recipe. I am making it this week. It was so delicious!