Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Any favorite crust recipes out there?

Isn't pizza wonderful? I can't think of anyone who doesn't like it. We decided to make our own pizzas the other night, but we didn't have time to wait for dough to rise. Therefore, I went to the Web for a quick and easy recipe for no-yeast crust. It was completely easy to make, and it tasted fine, but I didn't like it well enough to make it again. Our main enjoyment was in making the pizzas and adding all the toppings. Do any of you have a favorite pizza crust recipe you can share?

THE RECIPE:

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. cooking oil
2 Tbsp. cooking oil

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine ingredients (except 2 Tbsp. oil) in bowl and mix well. Knead dough in bowl ten times, then split into two balls. On lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 13-inch circle. Place on pan and turn up edges about a half-inch and pinch. Brush with remaining oil. Add desired toppings. Ours took 25 minutes to bake.

5 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

Do you have my mom's breadstick recipe? It's a great dough and my mom's used it to make pizzas a lot over the years. I has yeast, but as with the breadsticks, you never wait for it to rise. Only downfall with it as a pizza crust is you have to be careful not to get it too thick - roll it thin enough and it's great.

Kristy said...

My friend Deanna gave me a link to this website http://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/homemade_pizza_recipes.html and the recipes on there are great. We really like the pizza crust and the pizza sauce. Oftentimes I make double the dough and then freeze it in disks. I just have to put it in the fridge the morning of or night before to thaw. Works for us!

Kristy said...

One more thing...Deanna taught me a good trick that after you roll out your pizza dough and before you put on the sauce, you brush a little olive oil over the dough...then add sauce and toppings. It helps so the crust doesn't go soggy from the ingredients and it gets cooked all the way through. Also, we have found using a pizza stone makes a big difference!

Alvey family said...

I really like my pizza crust. It only has to rise for 1 hour and is unique because it has honey in it. I'll have to make it soon and post the recipe on my cooking blog. Your pizza looks mighty good to me though!

Jac said...

Our favorite pizza dough recipe came from the TV show 'Reading Rainbow' many years ago. For one crust use 3 cups of flour and a packet of yeast dissolved in 1 cup of warm water. Knead, put in an oiled dish, flip the dough so that the oiled side is up, cover and let rise for 15-60 minutes. Roll it out, place on an oiled pan, top it, and cook in a 450 degree oven for about 12 minutes.